- Vineyard Region South Eastern Australia
- Vintage Conditions A continued dry spell affected much of the fruit development during the vintage period but late spring rains provided a well timed boost to the vines and encouraged fruit development. The following months leading through ripening and up to harvest proved to be mild and dry, assisting the fruit to develop well balanced characters.
- Grape Varietal Shiraz
- Vinification and Maturation Grapes were gently destemmed and prepared for fermentation. The juice was pumped over up to four times daily and then the cap was headed down with the fermenting juice drained and returned twice daily until the wine was pressed. The wine was then transferred to a mixture of one to three year old barrels. Less structural, aromatic portions of the final blend underwent malolactic fermentation in tank and were kept in older wood to provide complementary fresh red fruit lift and balance to the final wine. Overall the wine was matured in oak for a total of 12 months with three rackings taking place throughout its maturation period prior to bottling.
- Winemaker Andrew Higgins's Notes
- Colour Youthful red purple.
- Aroma Spicy red fruits with cooler climate influences of black pepper and background chocolate oak.
- Palate Medium-bodied with ripe red cherry and juicy blood plums with supporting nutmeg spice from judicious use of oak. The wine has a long supple tannin finish with persistent fruit length.
- Last Tasted 01 JUL 2010
- Peak Drinking Drinking beautifully now or cellar for up to three years from vintage.
- Peppered steak ciabatta sandwich