Queensland Delivers Trophies and Gold for McWilliam's Wines
The regional depth and outstanding quality across the McWilliam's Wines portfolio, from its regionally branded wines to its Echelon Wine Partners ranges, was confirmed last night when the company took out four of the most prestigious trophies, as well as 16 gold medals, at the 2011 Queensland Royal Wine Show.
It has been just over 12 months since McWilliam's Wines introduced Echelon Wine Partners to its company portfolio. Last night, in a further confirmation of the winery's regional strengths and Echelon's philosophy of building new, high quality regional wine brands, the 2010 Partisan Communication Road McLaren Vale Shiraz (to be released August 2012) won the 2011 Stodart Trophy for Best One Year Old Red Wine.
The trophy, Queensland's equivalent to Melbourne's Jimmy Watson Trophy, has now been claimed by McWilliam's Wines three years in a row with wines from three different regions. Last year's winner, the 2009 Barwang The Stables Cabernet Sauvignon (to be released April 2012) also picked up the Trophy for Best Two Year Old and Over Red Wine last night.
The McWilliam's Show Reserve Liqueur Muscat took also took home trophies for Best Muscat and Best Fortified Win
The Queensland Royal Wine Show delivered a deluge of gold medals. Among the gold medal winners were the following current release wines:
- 2009 Barwang Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Under & Over King Valley Pinot Gris
- McWilliam's Hanwood Estate Classic Muscat
Future release wines which won gold medals included:
- 2010 Under & Over Heathcote Shiraz (available September 2011)
- 2008 McWilliam's 1877 (winner of the 2009 Stodart Trophy)
- 2010 Partisan McLaren Vale Shiraz (available September 2011)
- 2007 McWilliam's Cellar Release Elizabeth Semillon
- 2009 Brand's Laira The Patron Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Brand's Laira Blockers Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2010 Brand's Laira Two Row Merlot
In total, gold medals were awarded for wines across eight different regions, from the Hunter Valley to Heathcote. With McWilliam's Wines claiming 16 of the 102 gold medals available, it is hard to dispute that the Company is one of Australia's leading producers of high quality, benchmark regional wines.